COVID-19 Information

    Includes Translated Resources

    COVID-19 Update

    As of 11:59PM on Friday, 17 September restrictions are easing in metropolitan Melbourne and the City of Ballarat due to Victoria hitting the 70% first dose vaccination targetUnvaccinated or partially vaccinated adults will be able to meet up with one other person from a different household for a walk or picnic, while fully vaccinated adults will be able to do so with five other people from two households, plus dependents. For a full snapshot of changes to restrictions, click here.

    Get Tested

    There are multiple locations across Melbourne and Victoria where there is a risk you may have been exposed to COVID-19. If you or you loved ones went to any of the exposure sites listed here at the times indicated, please follow the advice given for that particular site.

    If you have cold- or flu-like symptoms, even if they are mild, please get tested as soon as possible. Find out where you can get tested here. COVID-19 testing and vaccinations are free for everyone.

    COVID-19 Vaccines

    Getting vaccinated is highly effective at preventing serious illness and loss of life from COVID-19. Vaccination centres are open to people who are eligible to receive a vaccine and there are new centres opening all the time. The vaccine eligibility checker is now available in a range of languages. Find a vaccination centre near you here. Find information on vaccines in your language here.

    Checking in and Contract Tracing

    Checking in using a QR code is now compulsory for all shops and businesses. Checking in helps with contact tracing, and keeps Victoria safe and open. When you check-in, you create a record of the time and date you visited a venue. This means that if there is a COVID-19 outbreak, contact tracers can quickly access your contact information and get in touch with you, if you’ve visited a public exposure site. This will help to contain a COVID-19 outbreak.

    Information In Your Language

    Coronavirus hotline: 1800 675 398

    If you are concerned that you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) and need help understanding what to do
    next or what support services are available, please call
    the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

    If you need an interpreter, call the coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline on 1800 675 398 and press 0.

    Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

    If you are an NDIS participant, you can also call the national hotline on 1800 020 080.

    Support Available

    Family RecoverY Fund

    Culturally and linguistically diverse individuals and families in Victoria who have been significantly impacted by COVID can access case management support (with a focus on mental health recovery, education, training and employment) through the Family Recovery Program. Information regarding this program is available in 13 community languages. If you would like more information or would like to register your interest in accessing this fund, please contact


    The Extreme Hardship Support Program (EHSP) provides emergency financial assistance to people on temporary and provisional visas, and undocumented migrants who are not eligible for government income support. The EHSP assists people with zero or very limited savings, income or community support to pay for food, medicine and bills during the pandemic. It is a Victorian Government program delivered by the Brotherhood of St Laurence and Red Cross.


    For referral for food relief and essentials, send an email to

    In-language Videos

    Translated videos are available in 18 languages on COVID-19 topics, including:

    • How to access financial and other support when you need to get a test or isolate at home and can’t go to work
    • Your mental health and wellbeing
    • Getting tested for coronavirus quickly
    • Staying at home when you test positive for COVID-19, or are a close contact.

    Finding in-language video resources at

    Mental Health

    It is important to look after and check-in on everyone’s health and wellbeing during the current COVID-19 pandemic.

    You can phone, text or email Beyond Blue for support.

    Find translated information and resources on Mental Health during COVID here.

    North Western Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN) has produced a range of in-language videos about mental health, including the Hindi video below. Find other in-language mental health videos from NWMPHN here.