Digital Inclusion of Seniors
People from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds make up an increasing proportion of older Victorians. The 2016 census data suggests that more than 30 per cent of Victorians over 65 years are from a CALD background.
At the start of 2020, ECCV engaged in community consultation processes with CALD seniors’ clubs in South-East Melbourne. ECCV conducted two community consultation sessions – one with the Seniors’ Leadership Network, coordinated by the Southern Migrant & Refugee Centre, and another session with Kingston Seniors’ Network, coordinated by the City of Kingston.
ECCV conducted additional consultative meetings with the City of Greater Dandenong, City of Casey and City of Kingston.
Based on these consultations, specific needs of CALD seniors’ clubs were identified. Two key needs identified by clubs’ leaders and members were:
- The need to strengthen CALD seniors’ digital literacy skills to increase social connectedness and inclusion.
- The need to strengthen the capacity of CALD seniors’ clubs to submit grant applications and collaborate with Local Government..
These issues were exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, since the need for social inclusion, connectedness and participation among CALD seniors under such circumstances proved to be essential and urgent.
As a result, ECCV designed a pilot project funded by the Victorian Government and in partnership with U3A Network, which is supported by the City of Kingston, City of Casey and City of Greater Dandenong, and the Southern Migrant & Refugee Centre.
The project aims to build digital capacities of CALD seniors to support social inclusion, cultural connectedness and safety and wellbeing.
The ECCV-U3A project will:
- Support CALD seniors to develop and/or enhance their digital literacy
- Support CALD seniors’ clubs to develop their grant application skills
- Support CALD seniors to enhance their capability to maintain social inclusion, cultural connectedness and up to date information including financial support options to assist with positive ageing.
If you are a leader or a member of a CALD seniors’ club located in City of Kingston, City of Casey or City of Greater Dandenong and would like to be part of this pilot project, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.