Elder abuse prevention in ethnic communities
Elder abuse is any act that harms older people and that is carried out by someone they know and should be able to trust such as family or friends. Such harm can be financial, physical, sexual, emotional or psychological, including mistreatment or neglect. ECCV would like to see suspected elder abuse in ethnic communities addressed within the context of cultural behaviours, values and expectations.
The aim of the ECCV project is to increase awareness of elder abuse in ethnic communities. ECCV works in partnership with ethnic and multicultural organisations and Senior Rights Victoria to deliver culturally appropriate messages about elder abuse, its prevention and pathways to support.
The project was initially funded for the 2012-2015 period in which ECCV worked with the Chinese, Greek, Filipino, Macedonian, Turkish and Serbian communities. The ECCV has received funding to extend the project to another six communities; the Croatian and Polish communities in 2015, and the Vietnamese and Indian communities in 2016. We will be working with the Jewish community in 2015-17. We hope to work with the Italian and Arabic-speaking communities in the final year of the project. Work will continue with the communities from the first stage of the project
If you are involved in these communities or are part of a community that is not listed and would like to be a part of the project, please contact email@example.com
A project brief can be downloaded here
ECCV's Elder Abuse Project
In October 2014, ECCV launched Within My Walls, a community education short film resource on elder abuse.
Click below to view Within My Walls in English
Click below to view the Within My Walls information clip in English.
In-language resources including Within My Walls and resource kits for bilingual professionals working with seniors from their respective communities.
- Tagalog (Filipino)
- Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese separately)
- Chinese (Cantonese with Mandarin subtitles)
- ECCV marks World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2016: http://eccv.org.au/community/media-releases/eccv-to-mark-world-elder-abuse-awareness-day-through-continued-advocacy-and-awareness-raising/
- ECCV marks World Elder Abuse Awarenes Day 2015 http://eccv.org.au/community/events/eccv-marks-world-elder-abuse-awareness-day
- Raising awareness of elder abuse in ethnic communities http://eccv.org.au/community/media-releases/raising-awareness-of-elder-abuse-in-ethnic-communities/
- On World Elder Abuse Awareness Day say no to Elder Abuse (link) June 2013 http://eccv.org.au/community/media-releases/on-world-elder-abuse-awareness-day-say-no-to-elder-abuse-/
Filed under Aged Care
Commenting is not available in this entry.