Within My Walls, a community education resource

Within My Walls, a community education resource

Elder abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, culture or religion, but because of shame, stigma, lack of awareness and options, it may be more hidden and under-reported in ethnic communities than in the general population.

When communities talk openly about the issue, it gives people permission to speak up if they or someone they know is experiencing abuse.

The Ethnic Communities' Council of Victoria launched its landmark short film on elder abuse, Within My Walls, a community education resource in October 2014.

Within My Walls is a glimpse into the lives of older people in suburban Melbourne, who have been affected by mistreatment at the hands of their family.

Part of the ECCV's elder abuse project, this film is a community education tool, designed to generate discussion about the topic of elder abuse.

ECCV's advisory groups identified factors such as stigma about accepting help outside the family, not knowing where to go for help and increased dependency on adult children due to migration.

The film is available in seven languages (Cantonese, Greek, Macedonian, Mandarin, Serbian, Tagalog and Turkish), and the stories show types of elder abuse experienced in ethnic communities.

To order a copy of the DVD and education resource, email or call Fiona York, ECCV Senior Project Officer on 9349 4122.

Download the education resource HERE

Mara and Nicks story - video in English

Erlinda and John's story - video in English

Mei-Hua's story - video in English

Con's story - video in English

Previous Entry Next Entry

Newsletters

Share/Save/Bookmark

Filed under Aged Care, Crime, Diversity, HUman Rights, Law and the legal system, Multiculturalism, Population and Training

top of page